Carlin’s Max Chilton had an action packed race in Turkey today, in round two of the 2011 GP2 Series. The British driver started 23rd having been taken out of the race on lap one yesterday, and enjoyed an eventful race to cross the line 17th.

With team mate Mikhail Aleshin not in the running this weekend following an accident in qualifying that left him with a fractured left hand, there was just one Carlin car on the grid this afternoon as Chilton lined up 23rd.

The Carlin man made a good start from 23rd on the grid and by the end of lap one was already up to 18th. A few laps later Chilton was 16th. The 20 year-old continued to make progress and was 14th by lap ten in an eventful race around the Istanbul Park circuit.

As the race entered the middle stages, Chilton began to pay the price for his attacking drive through the field as tyre wear became an issue. Fighting hard against Lotus ART’s Esteban Gutierrez, Chilton was never out of the action in a chaotic race.

Chilton did well to avoid a nasty accident involving Davide Rigon and Julian Leal in the final stages of the race, as the rear wing of Rigon lay stranded in the middle of the track. That incident brought out the safety car, as marshals recovered the two cars and assisted the injured Rigon.

The safety car came in with just one lap of racing action to go – making it a sprint to the flag. Chilton did will at the restart, passing Luca Filippi into the last corner and was briefly 14th, but lost out at the final corner of the final lap as Luiz Razia and Filippi squeezed the Carlin car, leaving Chilton to cross the line 17th.

Reflecting on his race, Chilton said, “Today was a good opportunity to try some things out that we wouldn’t have been able to do otherwise, as there wasn’t much to race for today. We’ve definitely learnt from a couple of things that we tried, so we can take some positives away with us. Our pace at the start of the weekend was also really impressive, but unfortunately our races were ruined by an accident yesterday.

“We had really good pace in the first half of the race and gained nearly 10 places, but then a couple of things didn’t go my way and the tyres started to drop away in the second half of the race so I wasn’t able to fight quite so hard. We’ve got a great pace in qualifying, but we still need to work a little on our race pace and I think the work we did today definitely helped with that.”