Having taken his first ever British F3 win yesterday, Carlin’s Carlos Sainz Jr took victory again today, at a rain soaked Monza circuit in Italy. The 17 year-old Spaniard was unchallenged in his Volkswagen powered Carlin machine throughout the 40 minute Feature race, which was started behind the safety car. Jazeman Jaafar finished fourth, Harry Tincknell was sixth and Jack Harvey was eighth. Harvey and Pietro Fantin took second and third respectively in the morning’s Sprint race.

Sunday’s Sprint race turned out to be something of a wash out, after wet conditions meant the drivers started the 20 minute race behind the safety car. With the top 10 finishers from race one reversed, Fortec’s Felix Serralles lined up on pole with Harvey the top Carlin starter in third place.

Harvey was on a charge and was soon up to second place by lap four. By the time the drivers completed lap six, Fantin had moved up to fourth ahead of Jaafar in fifth, Sainz was eighth and Tincknell ninth. Fantin was on the move on lap seven, passing McBride for third place. With few laps of racing action in the 20 minute Sprint, the order remained unchanged to the chequered flag, with Harvey and Fantin making it a double podium for Carlin in second and third respectively. Jaafar took points for fifth, race one winner Sainz was eighth and Tincknell ninth.

With the rain refusing to ease, race three of the weekend also started behind the safety car, with pole sitter Sainz leading the field. After one lap in safety car conditions the racing began in earnest on lap two, with Sainz making the most of good visibility at the front to pull out an early gap. Behind him, Jaafar had moved up to fourth place while Fantin, Harvey and Tincknell were all fighting for seventh.

The team mates raced cleanly and closely, with Harvey passing Fantin for seventh on lap seven. Fantin disappeared from the timing screens shortly after however, when an electrical problem possibly caused by the torrential rain ended what had otherwise strong weekend for the Brazilian.

At the front, Sainz was controlling the race and had pulled out a gap of nearly nine seconds at the half way point.

Pushing hard to pass Pipo Derani, Harvey was closing the gap to the Fortec driver. Team mate Tincknell passed the Racing Steps man on lap 13 however, briefly taking seventh at the chicane, but gave the position back a lap later in order to avoid a possibly penalty.

By lap 16, Sainz had increased his lead to nearly 16 seconds, with Jaafar holding station in fourth. Behind the leaders Harvey was again piling pressure on Derani and was all over the Fortec man’s rear wing.

On Monza’s long straights the order remained changeable however, and Tincknell passed Harvey for seventh on lap 18, and Derani a lap later to make a superb late dash for sixth place. Harvey was able to take the chequered flag in eighth. At the front, Jaafar just missed out on the podium in fourth, while Sainz romped home with a 16.7 second lead to take his second victory of the weekend.

A delighted Sainz said, “The car was perfect today, so a big thank you to the team. The conditions were very tricky today, but I just focused on my own race and not making any mistakes this afternoon and pulled out a gap bit by bit. It’s been a fantastic weekend, and to take two races wins at such an important circuit as Monza in such challenging conditions means a lot.”

Trevor Carlin added, “Carlos drove a perfect race this afternoon, he didn’t make a single mistake in very difficult conditions. All five drivers have shown a very high standard of driving today, despite the weather, and Harry’s overtaking manoeuvres at the end of the race were fantastic to watch. Once again the team have done a great job to take five podiums from nine this weekend. There is still a lot of work to do however, and we will all be working extremely hard in the next few weeks as we prepare for the next round in Pau.”

The Cooper Tires British F3 International Series continues at the street circuit of Pau on 12th May.