It was a day of mixed fortunes for Carlin’s Formula Renault 3.5 team in Paul Ricard today during collective testing in which Kevin Magnussen was the man to beat during the afternoon session, lying near the top of the time screens throughout the hour and a half test. However team mate Will Stevens found his afternoon disrupted after an engine related electrical problem left him sidelined and unable to complete a flying lap.

As the day’s running got underway Magnussen was forced to sit out the first 20 minutes following a post-race penalty handed to him last time out in Hungary however a red flag period during this time also brought the rest of the field into their respective garages. Stevens, who had already been out on track and set a handful of flying laps, joined his team mate in the garage before re-taking to the track and lying in 23rd place as the times began to fall.

When Magnussen was able to join the track he quickly began to move his car up the order however a right rear puncture briefly brought him back in to the pits. With the damaged tyre replaced he was then able to put in a flying lap to place him in 11th before dropping to 13th place as a second red flag period disrupted the session. In the latter stages Stevens was laying down rubber in the pit box and completing the test schedule in ahead of the rest of the weekend.

With Magnussen back on track he once again began moving up the order as the time began to count down, and when the chequered flag fell he crossed the line in fourth overall; while team mate Stevens was 25th.

For second practice Magnussen was once again immediately on the pace, his first flying lap was quick enough to see him head the field and stay there for the opening laps. Stevens however was unable to make his way out on track after an engine related electrical problem left him in the garage while the team worked to resolve the problem.

Meanwhile Magnussen was still making great progress and getting faster with each lap. Despite briefly losing position to Alexander Rossi, Robin Frijns and Antonio Felix da Costa the Carlin man was quick to take the place back in the last 10 minutes of the session where he stayed as the days running came to an end.

Stevens, who had spent almost the whole afternoon test in the garage, was able to get back out on track with just a few minutes to go however as a result he was unfortunately unable to set a flying lap during the session.

Reflecting on the day Kevin Magnussen said, ‘We had a good pre-season test here earlier in the year so we knew that the pace would be good. Overall today was a good day for us, we were quick in the morning session despite not completing a lot of laps and in the afternoon we were fastest to begin with and we were able to keep getting faster as we continued.

‘We’re looking likely to see rain this weekend but I’m hoping for a dry qualifying session tomorrow because I’m feeling confident with where the car is after today. Overall, I’m feeling good heading towards the rest of the weekend and I’m keen to get the win I missed out on in Hungary!’