Skip to content

Driver Database News

The latest news from the world of racing

Archive

Tag: Scott Malvern

The organisers of Karting for Heroes are thrilled to be able to announce that this years event will be supported by current Dunlop MSA Formula Ford Champion, 2011 BRSCC Formula Ford Festival Winner and recipient of the 2011 Henry Surtees Award, Essex driver Scott Malvern.

Scott’s attendance will provide a unique opportunity for teams to boost the money raised for Help for Heroes and give themselves a competitive edge. Prior to the race start, teams will be able to bid for Scott’s talent and for him to become one of their drivers for the day. Quite simply the team that puts in the highest bid in will have a current series champion and star of the future on their team. Scott said he was “delighted to be able to offer his services” to help Karting for Heroes boost the amount the event raises for Help for Heroes. Money will be raised from a combination of entry fees and an Auction to be held after the race and will help boost the £12,000 already raised by previous events.

The event is organised by Rochester based Hydraquip and is in the form of a three hour endurance race open to teams of 3+ drivers of all abilities at the Buckmore Park Circuit in Kent.
This year will be the third running of the event and will be held on Saturday 12th May 2012. Organiser Geoff Kelley said “We are extremely grateful to Scott giving his time and supporting our event, especially when the highest bidding team could possibly be the slowest. Which is obviously something he is not used to. The addition of such a successful driver will add to the prestige of the event and we expect the remaining team spaces to be filled quickly”.

It is possible to donate money for Help for Heores by using the following link: http://www.bmycharity.com/KartingforHeroes2012

Scott MalvernA last minute deal this week will see 2011 British Formula Ford dominator Scott Malvern join the Pro-Tyre BARC Formula Renault Championship. Malvern himself describes the choice as “pragmatic”. The 2010 & 2011 McLaren Autosport BRDC Award finalist says that he was “running out of options” but felt it was important to keep racing and expects the championship to be highly competitive. “There are some talented young drivers here this year so it will be a great environment to compete in. I’m looking forward to really enjoying myself”

Malvern has signed for the new Cullen Motorsport Outfit but his car will be engineered by his former team manager Cliff Dempsey. Scott began his car racing career with Cliff Dempsey Racing winning the National FF1600 title in 2009 and going tantalisingly close to taking the Dunlop MSA Formula Ford Championship driving the Ray chassis in 2010.

Scott commented “I shook down Trent Hindman’s new car a few weeks ago at Silverstone and it went really well despite running on three year old rubber. Cliff said there & then he’d love to run another car for me but without any budget to speak of this was going to be difficult. Then Patrick Cullen kindly offered us a deal at a meeting at Silverstone last week and we shook hands the same day. We’ve had to source a suitable car and we will have to go straight in at the first round at Snetterton without any testing so I’m not expecting too much from the weekend but we’ll just aim to do a solid job and then build on it from there.”

Scott is still optimistic of being able to compete in F3, F2 or British GT’s at some point during the year. He further stated “if I get the chance to prove myself in something quicker then I’ll jump at it but at least in the meantime this will keep me active & race sharp and I think it will a great series”

Scott had been talking to Hywel Lloyd’s CF Racing outfit about making his British F3 debut at Oulton Park on Good Friday but couldn’t raise the necessary finance though hasn’t ruled out a drive later in the season if things improve.

Photo by Jakob Ebrey Photography.

Scott Malvern GP3Scott Malvern had his first taste of GP3 action this week at the Circuit De Catalunya in Barcelona at the first official end of season test with the Status GP team. He acquitted himself well against far more experienced opposition, being the only one of the 26 drivers taking part who hadn’t previously competed in a winged formula.

Scott commented “Obviously there was a lot to learn over the two days but overall I am very pleased with what we achieved. We set ourselves some clear targets and a programme that we wanted to work through to give me a better understanding of how a winged car works and in that respect we met all of our objectives. I’m a little disappointed that we didn’t set a quick time on the final new tyre run but that was down to lack of clear track time more than my inability to do it and we were compromised by some minor problems that we had with the car late in the day. It was a good experience and can only help with my future development”

The GP3 championship is contested at European Formula One Grand Prix events and is regarded as the first stepping stone to Formula One before GP2. Scott and his partners are evaluating programmes for progressing his career in 2012 and GP3 is seriously being considered along with the FIA International Formula 2 championship.

Photo by GP3 Media / Status Grand Prix

Just when you thought Scott Malvern’s highly successful motor racing season couldn’t get any better the Barkingside young rising star has topped it off by winning the highly prestigious Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch. The Festival enjoying its 40th anniversary this year has a list of illustrious past winners including Mark Webber, Jenson Button and Johnny Herbert.

The triumph means that Scott has enjoyed a clean sweep of all the major motor racing honours available to him this season adding to the already won Dunlop MSA Formula Ford Championship of Great Britain and the Formula Ford Euro-Cup.

Although he faced stiff competition at Brands Hatch with top drivers entered not just from the UK but from all over the world including Australia, Finland & USA, Scott was always in command through the event qualifying in pole position for his group and then going on to win his heat, quarter final, semi-final and final races to take the overall victory. Scott delighted afterwards said “I came to this event as a very young mechanic in 2008 working for Australian driver Tim Blanchard and thought to myself that I’d love to come back and win it myself. Little did I imagine that three years later I would do just that”
Scott’s busy season isn’t over just yet though. He has been hired as the development driver for the new Formula Ford ECO Boost race car and will be taking part in several test days in the coming weeks. He will also line up for the 2nd consecutive year as one of the six finalists for the McLaren AUTOSPORT BRDC Young Driver of the Year Award. This is the top award in British Motorsport and brings with it a prize of a McLaren Formula One test and £100,000 towards next season’s race budget.

Scott will also be returning to his karting roots this week on Thursday 20th October when he joins a number of top British motor racing stars to compete in the Henry Surtees Foundation benefit event at Buckmore Park Kart circuit in Kent. Henry was the late son of multiple motorcycle and Formula One World Champion John Surtees who lost his life in a tragic accident in 2009.

Post Script
Late last night we received the tragic news that British Motor Racing Star Dan Wheldon had tragically lost his life in a race accident in Las Vegas. Dan was one of the drivers who proved to be a real inspiration for Scott’s career and he is deeply saddened to learn of his premature death. Dan’s achievements in twice winning the Indy 500, arguably the most famous motor race in the world, and the Indy-Car Championship place him among the all-time greats. It is tragic that his death should come at a time when his career was undergoing a real resurgence after a difficult couple of years. Scott & his family would like to extend their deepest sympathy to all of Dan’s family & friends.

2011 Dunlop MSA Formula Ford Champion of Great Britain and Euro-Cup winner Scott Malvern has been nominated as one of six finalists for the highly prestigious McLaren AUTOSPORT BRDC Award.

Scott’s utter domination of the 2011 Formula Ford season, which has seen him take 21 victories from 26 race starts so far, made him a strong candidate as a finalist for the 2nd successive year.

When told of the news Scott commented “I’m naturally delighted. This vindicates what was seen by many to be a risky strategy in returning to Formula Ford this season having had such a brilliant 2010. If I hadn’t dominated this category in my 2nd season here I would have been thought of as a failure. I’ve done the job I set out to do. It was in the back of my mind that I could earn a 2nd crack at the award but I never ever take anything for granted. A big thank you to the judges for selecting me and a massive thank you to the Jamun Racing Team and all of my supporters for helping to get me here. I am really looking forward to the competition and intend to enjoy every second of it!”

Scott and the other five finalists will be assessed in a test at Silverstone in November by a panel of judges. The panel includes former Formula 1 racer, World Sportscar Champion and BRDC president Derek Warwick, two-time BTCC champion Jason Plato, DTM ace Jamie Green, McLaren head of vehicle engineering Mark Williams, renowned motorsports commentator Ian Titchmarsh, and AUTOSPORT journalists Kevin Turner and Marcus Pye.

Further news on this story can be found here: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95074

Scott MalvernScott Malvern clinched the 2011 Dunlop MSA Formula Ford Championship in style at Donington Park on Sunday (25th Sept) with an impressive lights to flag victory, his 21st of the season, to add to the Euro Cup title he had already claimed in August. It’s been a record breaking season for the young Barkingside driver and he will he have further opportunities to add to his victory total if he elects to compete in the final three rounds of the British Championship in two weeks time on the Grand Prix circuit at Silverstone and in the Formula Ford World Festival at Brands Hatch the following weekend.

Malvern paid a massive tribute to his Jamun Racing Team and all his supporters after another highly impressive weekend. “This wouldn’t have been possible without the great car that Jamun Racing have provided me with every race weekend and the fantastic help that we receive from all our partners and supporters. I hope everyone is giving themselves a massive pat on the back for what they’ve helped us to do this year” Malvern hopes that the title will help him to progress his career as a professional racing driver. “When you look at who has won this championship in the past; names like Ayrton Senna & Jenson Button you realise that you are part of that history now and look at what they went onto achieve. I just hope that this will put us on a lot of people’s radar. They know what I am capable of and I that am ready to move on”

Malvern is as yet unsure as where he will be able to move onto for 2012. “Obviously there is still a lot of hard work to be done but given the opportunity I’d like to step up to Formula 3, GP3 or Formula 2. I am confident that I have the tools and the mindset to do a great job!”

more detailed reports of Scott’s weekend races (24-25th Sept) at Donington Park can be found here:

http://www.britishformulaford.co.uk/news/2011/250911.htm

http://www.britishformulaford.co.uk/news/2011/240911.htm

Photo by Jakob Ebrey Photography.

Scott MalvernWhile British Motor Racing fans hoped for home success at the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, one young UK driver achieved success abroad. Barkingside’s Scott Malvern took a brilliant and hard fought victory at the legendary Spa circuit in Belgium. But Scott suffered a nightmare start to the weekend on Friday when he suffered gearbox failure as he exited the pits for qualifying. He struggled round to complete three qualifying laps at speed which were only good enough to give him 14th, 16th & 21st (last) grid positions for the weekend’s three races. But undeterred he put an amazing master display of overtaking to take victory in races one and three and was only narrowly denied a win in race two by just thousandth’s of a second in a photo finish with winner Australian Geoff Uhrhane. Uhrhane who led the race when Scott made it through the pack to 2nd place, held a six second advantage but Scott reeled him in at a rate of knots to produce a nail biting finish.

He also pulled off the overtaking move of the weekend against Uhrhane in race one taking the lead from him at the ultra fast Eau Rouge bend and set a new lap record in race three in his quest to claim the overall Euro-Cup title for the weekend. The two victories take Scott’s win tally for the season to 12 wins from 15 races.

Scott also leads the Dunlop MSA Formula Ford championship of Great Britain at the half way stage of the season having won 10 of the 12 rounds held so far.

Photo by Jakob Ebrey Photography.

Scott Malvern secured his third excessive clean sweep and made it nine consecutive race victories with an impressive display on the Brands Hatch Grand Prix circuit this weekend. But twice he was faced with having to restart a race when red flags were deployed in both races one & three due to a heavy downpour and cars losing control and spinning off the track.

As the 26 car grid set off on the green flag lap it began to rain. With all the cars shod with slick tyres for dry running conditions were very trick but Scott pulled clear of the field to pull out a substantial advantage until the cars of 2nd placed Geoff Uhrhane and championship leader Jeroen Slaghekke spun off into the gravel at Clearways corner. The race was red flagged and all the drivers pitted to change for wet treaded tyres. At the restart Malvern pulled clear of Finnish Champion Antti Buri to win by over 4 seconds.

Race two, later on Saturday afternoon was run in dry and sunny conditions and Malvern on pole was beaten into 2nd into the first corner by 2nd placed Uhrhane. But Malvern subjected Uhrhane to relentless pressure and eventually capitalized on a small mistake by his Australian rival to pass him at Westfield corner. It was now the turn of Uhrhane to place Malvern under heavy pressure but the Barkingside racer stood firm and positioned his car inch perfect every lap to resist Uhrhane’s attention and take a 2nd win of the day.
Race three was almost a carbon copy of the weather conditions of race one with a heavy downpour bringing out the red flags early in the race. Malvern had built a substantial lead over team mate Nick McBride when the race was stopped with cars again stranded in the gravel at Clearways. All the cars changed to wet weather tyres and once again Malvern nailed the start to pull a comfortable gap and take the win in the shortened restarted race.

So Malvern boosted his win tally to ten from twelve races and also achieved a ninth consecutive race victory. Malvern now leads the championship and has a firm eye cast at the record number of race victories in a season which stands at 14 by Callum McLeod in 2007. With only half the scheduled 24 races completed he is well on course to achieve his target but concedes that the biggest threat to him not realising this is if he cannot raise the funds t complete his 2011 campaign. “It was really touch & go to make it to Brands Hatch this weekend and we only just managed to put something together at the last minute. It would be a real tragedy if we were unable to continue with great results like this.”

Photo by Jakob Ebrey Photography.

Scott MalvernJamun Racing Star Scott Malvern became the first driver of the Duratec era to achieve a perfect maximum score at the Dunlop MSA Formula Ford Championship of Great Britain Easter event at Oulton Park.

Malvern set the three fastest laps in qualifying giving him pole position for rounds four, five & six of the championship. He then went on take lights to flag victories in all three rounds and recorded the fastest lap in each race as well giving him a maximum score available to him for the weekend.

A check in the results archive proved that this had not been done before, the closest to it being another Jamun driver Wayne Boyd in his championship winning year 2008 taking three wins at Knockhill but only two poles and two fastest laps. His perfect record that weekend was spoilt by his Jamun team mate Tim Blanchard who had fastest lap in race two and pole position for race three. Ironically Blanchard’s mechanic that season was a nineteen year old Scott Malvern!

Scott delighted with his Oulton park results commented “obviously Silverstone could have been better but I didn’t dwell on what might have been. I simply refocused my attention to Oulton Park determined to put things right and thanks to the hard work of the team and my partners for getting me here that’s exactly what I did. I’m now firmly back on track and aim to stay there”

Photo by Jakob Ebrey Photography.

Scott MalvernBarkingside Racer Scott Malvern stormed back into title contention at Oulton Park in Cheshire last weekend dominating proceedings in the Dunlop MSA Formula Ford Championship of Great Britain. Malvern achieved the perfect score in the three championship rounds held on Saturday & Bank Holiday Monday taking three wins from three pole positions and fastest lap in every race in a superb master class display. Not only that but he was never headed in each of the races and achieved impressive winning margins of almost three seconds, seven seconds and six seconds respectively in the 20 car International field.

Malvern has now rocketed up the championship table form a lowly 12th position to 2nd place cutting by half the points advantage held by his Jamun Racing Team mate the Dutch driver Jeroen Slaghekke. Scott delighted with his results commented afterwards “I needed a strong performance after our problems at Silverstone two weeks ago and this has put me right back on track. I’d just like to thank all my partners who helped me to be here”.

Scott’s championship bid now moves onto Snetterton in Norfolk over the weekend of 14th & 15th May.

Photo by Jakob Ebrey Photography.